Weather, holiday boosts State Fair attendance
Published: October 18,2011
JACKSON — The Mississippi State Fair officially exceeded last year’s total visitors by more than 20,000 people, setting a new attendance record for the fall staple.
Billy Orr, executive director of the Fair Commission, tells The Clarion-Ledger at final count 694,221 people came to eat the food, see the sights and ride the rides at one of the state’s largest annual events. Last year brought out 673,098.
Organizers said the agreeable weather with the exception of shower’s last Wednesday evening was a large part of the success of the fair, which ran Oct. 5 through last Sunday.
Orr said another major help came from the fact that Oct. 10 was Columbus Day, and all the children were out of school.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- Man charged in noose left on integration statue at Ole Miss