Weather, holiday boosts State Fair attendance
Published: October 18,2011
JACKSON — The Mississippi State Fair officially exceeded last year’s total visitors by more than 20,000 people, setting a new attendance record for the fall staple.
Billy Orr, executive director of the Fair Commission, tells The Clarion-Ledger at final count 694,221 people came to eat the food, see the sights and ride the rides at one of the state’s largest annual events. Last year brought out 673,098.
Organizers said the agreeable weather with the exception of shower’s last Wednesday evening was a large part of the success of the fair, which ran Oct. 5 through last Sunday.
Orr said another major help came from the fact that Oct. 10 was Columbus Day, and all the children were out of school.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option