Shrimpers report worst season in memory
Published: October 19,2011
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Mississippi Department of Marine Resources’ data shows this to be an average or better shrimp season while about 100 shrimpers said it is the worst they can remember.
The Sun Herald reports the fishermen, most of them Vietnamese, attended yesterday’s DMR meeting in Biloxi. Their representatives said they should be out fishing rather than in a meeting, but are catching so few shrimp it doesn’t pay the cost of fuel for their boats.
Ten Tran says she has been fishing in Mississippi since 1982 and this is her worst season.
Traci Floyd, DMR Shrimp & Crab Bureau director, presented a shrimp season update and said the number of shrimp reported by the processors is about average, although decreases were reported in September.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Longtime Biloxi mayor Holloway resigns
- Proposed ammo ban empties shelves
- DAVID DALLAS: Tax slasher productions comes to Mississippi
- (UPDATED — BREAKING NEWS) American Specialty Alloys won’t locate $1.2B mill in Mississippi
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Status of some bills in the Mississippi Legislature
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- Hattiesburg wastewater treatment system could cost $152M
- Events and Nominations