Shrimpers report worst season in memory
Published: October 19,2011
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Mississippi Department of Marine Resources’ data shows this to be an average or better shrimp season while about 100 shrimpers said it is the worst they can remember.
The Sun Herald reports the fishermen, most of them Vietnamese, attended yesterday’s DMR meeting in Biloxi. Their representatives said they should be out fishing rather than in a meeting, but are catching so few shrimp it doesn’t pay the cost of fuel for their boats.
Ten Tran says she has been fishing in Mississippi since 1982 and this is her worst season.
Traci Floyd, DMR Shrimp & Crab Bureau director, presented a shrimp season update and said the number of shrimp reported by the processors is about average, although decreases were reported in September.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center