Shrimpers report worst season in memory
Published: October 19,2011
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Mississippi Department of Marine Resources’ data shows this to be an average or better shrimp season while about 100 shrimpers said it is the worst they can remember.
The Sun Herald reports the fishermen, most of them Vietnamese, attended yesterday’s DMR meeting in Biloxi. Their representatives said they should be out fishing rather than in a meeting, but are catching so few shrimp it doesn’t pay the cost of fuel for their boats.
Ten Tran says she has been fishing in Mississippi since 1982 and this is her worst season.
Traci Floyd, DMR Shrimp & Crab Bureau director, presented a shrimp season update and said the number of shrimp reported by the processors is about average, although decreases were reported in September.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015