Shrimpers report worst season in memory
by Associated Press
Published: October 19,2011
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Mississippi Department of Marine Resources’ data shows this to be an average or better shrimp season while about 100 shrimpers said it is the worst they can remember.
The Sun Herald reports the fishermen, most of them Vietnamese, attended yesterday’s DMR meeting in Biloxi. Their representatives said they should be out fishing rather than in a meeting, but are catching so few shrimp it doesn’t pay the cost of fuel for their boats.
Ten Tran says she has been fishing in Mississippi since 1982 and this is her worst season.
Traci Floyd, DMR Shrimp & Crab Bureau director, presented a shrimp season update and said the number of shrimp reported by the processors is about average, although decreases were reported in September.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- Conservator: Schools had too many employees
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Study says state sacrificing billions of dollars, 20,000 jobs in refusing Medicaid expansion
- Mars Food to celebrate 35 years in Port City
- Tennessee-based manufacturer sites plant in industrial park