Shrimpers report worst season in memory
Published: October 19,2011
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Mississippi Department of Marine Resources’ data shows this to be an average or better shrimp season while about 100 shrimpers said it is the worst they can remember.
The Sun Herald reports the fishermen, most of them Vietnamese, attended yesterday’s DMR meeting in Biloxi. Their representatives said they should be out fishing rather than in a meeting, but are catching so few shrimp it doesn’t pay the cost of fuel for their boats.
Ten Tran says she has been fishing in Mississippi since 1982 and this is her worst season.
Traci Floyd, DMR Shrimp & Crab Bureau director, presented a shrimp season update and said the number of shrimp reported by the processors is about average, although decreases were reported in September.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job