Ex-Sen. Trent Lott backing Romney for president
by Associated Press
Published: October 22,2011
BILOXI — Former U.S. Sen. Trent Lott of Mississippi says he’s supporting fellow Republican Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential race.
Lott says that he’s been looking at the GOP field. He thinks Romney can appeal to independents and would have the best chance to win.
Finance reports released Oct. 14 show the New Republican Majority Fund, a political action committee affiliated with Lott, gave Romney’s campaign $5,000.
Lott retired from the Senate in 2007. He says he’s been backing Romney for the White House since last year.
That means Lott made his decision even before Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour said he wouldn’t seek the Republican presidential nomination. Barbour made his announcement in April.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Ex-Sen. Trent Lott backing Romney for president”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Tallahatchie General’s listing on auditor’s ‘watchline’ an image set back, CEO says
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Ex-city worker arrested on false pretense charge
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects