Ex-Sen. Trent Lott backing Romney for president
Published: October 22,2011
BILOXI — Former U.S. Sen. Trent Lott of Mississippi says he’s supporting fellow Republican Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential race.
Lott says that he’s been looking at the GOP field. He thinks Romney can appeal to independents and would have the best chance to win.
Finance reports released Oct. 14 show the New Republican Majority Fund, a political action committee affiliated with Lott, gave Romney’s campaign $5,000.
Lott retired from the Senate in 2007. He says he’s been backing Romney for the White House since last year.
That means Lott made his decision even before Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour said he wouldn’t seek the Republican presidential nomination. Barbour made his announcement in April.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Ex-Sen. Trent Lott backing Romney for president”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation