Ex-Sen. Trent Lott backing Romney for president
Published: October 22,2011
BILOXI — Former U.S. Sen. Trent Lott of Mississippi says he’s supporting fellow Republican Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential race.
Lott says that he’s been looking at the GOP field. He thinks Romney can appeal to independents and would have the best chance to win.
Finance reports released Oct. 14 show the New Republican Majority Fund, a political action committee affiliated with Lott, gave Romney’s campaign $5,000.
Lott retired from the Senate in 2007. He says he’s been backing Romney for the White House since last year.
That means Lott made his decision even before Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour said he wouldn’t seek the Republican presidential nomination. Barbour made his announcement in April.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Ex-Sen. Trent Lott backing Romney for president”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager