Ex-Sen. Trent Lott backing Romney for president
Published: October 22,2011
BILOXI — Former U.S. Sen. Trent Lott of Mississippi says he’s supporting fellow Republican Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential race.
Lott says that he’s been looking at the GOP field. He thinks Romney can appeal to independents and would have the best chance to win.
Finance reports released Oct. 14 show the New Republican Majority Fund, a political action committee affiliated with Lott, gave Romney’s campaign $5,000.
Lott retired from the Senate in 2007. He says he’s been backing Romney for the White House since last year.
That means Lott made his decision even before Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour said he wouldn’t seek the Republican presidential nomination. Barbour made his announcement in April.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Ex-Sen. Trent Lott backing Romney for president”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year