DMR: Oystermen should expect limited season
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 23,2011
GULF OF MEXICO — The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources (MDMR) has scheduled the 2011-2012 limited Mississippi oyster season to open to tonging only at legal sunrise Oct. 24, only in Areas II “A,” “B” and “C” Conditionally Approved waters, provided the area meets all criteria for opening as specified in the area management plan.
Area II “A” Conditionally Approved Waters includes northern portions of the Pass Christian and Henderson Point reefs and Hornet’s Reef. Area II “B” Conditionally Approved Waters includes St. Stanislaus and Waveland reefs. Area II “C” Conditionally Approved Waters encompasses subdivisions of II “E” (including Square Handkerchief Reef and southern portions of Henderson Point Reef), II “F” (including southern portions of the Pass Christian Reef) and II “G” (including northern portions of the Pass Marianne and Telegraph reefs).
The MDMR is advising oyster harvesters that the areas being opened experienced significant losses this spring and summer. Harvesters should expect a limited season, with lower than average catch rates. The areas will be monitored closely by the MDMR.
The 2011 oyster relay plant sites located within these areas will remain closed to the harvest of oysters. These sites may be opened to harvest at a later date after sampling by the MDMR indicates harvest would be appropriate.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M