DMR: Oystermen should expect limited season
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 23,2011
GULF OF MEXICO — The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources (MDMR) has scheduled the 2011-2012 limited Mississippi oyster season to open to tonging only at legal sunrise Oct. 24, only in Areas II “A,” “B” and “C” Conditionally Approved waters, provided the area meets all criteria for opening as specified in the area management plan.
Area II “A” Conditionally Approved Waters includes northern portions of the Pass Christian and Henderson Point reefs and Hornet’s Reef. Area II “B” Conditionally Approved Waters includes St. Stanislaus and Waveland reefs. Area II “C” Conditionally Approved Waters encompasses subdivisions of II “E” (including Square Handkerchief Reef and southern portions of Henderson Point Reef), II “F” (including southern portions of the Pass Christian Reef) and II “G” (including northern portions of the Pass Marianne and Telegraph reefs).
The MDMR is advising oyster harvesters that the areas being opened experienced significant losses this spring and summer. Harvesters should expect a limited season, with lower than average catch rates. The areas will be monitored closely by the MDMR.
The 2011 oyster relay plant sites located within these areas will remain closed to the harvest of oysters. These sites may be opened to harvest at a later date after sampling by the MDMR indicates harvest would be appropriate.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager