State’s unemployment rate continues to rise
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi’s unemployment rate continues to rise, reaching 10.6 percent in September. That is according to a report from the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The bureau said unemployment in the state worsened from 10.4 percent in August and from 10.1 percent in September 2010.
In neighboring Louisiana unemployment stood at 6.9 percent in September, down from 7.2 percent in August and from 7.7 percent in September 2010.
In its report, the bureau said unemployment fell in 25 states in September and rose in 14, with no changes in 11 states and the District of Columbia.
But 38 states posted declines in unemployment from the same period a year ago.
Nevada continued to report the highest unemployment rate among the states, 13.4 percent in September.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- KEEPING OUR EYE ON: Elizabeth Harris
- Brown would make history if confirmed as judge
- Real estate company paying $1M for compromising wetlands
- Authorities: Suspect in ricin-laced letters case appeared to try to run
- Froyo y’all: Couple brings 'delicious' dessert to Delta
- Undersecretary: 'I understand the frustration' over catfish inspections
- Nullification and interposition