Authorities investigating cause of fire at foam factory
by Associated Press
Published: October 26,2011
TUPELO — Authorities are investigating what caused yesterday’s fire at Mt. Vernon Foam.
The small factory manufactured cut foam used in furniture making. About a dozen volunteer and full-time fire departments, including Tupelo and Saltillo, responded to the call around 11 a.m.
The factory is owned by Terry Robbins, whose family has owned the business for more than 40 years. Robbins declined to comment.
Belden Volunteer Fire Chief Willie Payne says no one was injured in the fire. He said a couple of people were in the building when the fire started but made it out safely. It is unclear how many people were employed by Mt. Vernon Foam.
Payne says the building was a total loss.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MDA introduces new 'Mississippi Homecoming' tourism ad campaign
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county