IP cleared to build landfill by supervisors
Published: October 26,2011
REDWOOD — International Paper can build an 18-acre landfill on its property on Mississippi Highway 3 in Redwood after Warren County officials amended local solid waste rules.
The decision by county supervisors came this week after the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality said there was no provision in the county’s solid waste plan for a landfill at IP.
John Adams, IP environmental health and safety manager, tells the Vicksburg Post most of the rubbish going into the landfill will be ash from wood burned to operate the plant’s boilers.
The company says other waste going to the landfill will be construction and demolition debris from work at the mill.
Adams said the landfill would pose no threat to ground and surface water in the area.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger