Georgia Pacific closing sawmill due to lack of construction
Published: November 2,2011
MARION COUNTY — Georgia Pacific is closing down its Marion County sawmill, effectively putting 65 people out of work.
Georgia Pacific spokeswoman Melody Ruse tells WDAM-TV employees of the sawmill, located just north of Columbia, were informed of the closure Monday.
Ruse says dwindling housing starts nationwide is the reason for the closure. She says in 2010, there were 581,000 new house built compared to two million in 2005.
Ruse says if market conditions improve in the future the sawmill could re-open. She says the Marion County facility is the only Georgia Pacific property in Mississippi scheduled for closure.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- Developers withdraw zoning application for former country club