Georgia Pacific closing sawmill due to lack of construction
by Associated Press
Published: November 2,2011
MARION COUNTY — Georgia Pacific is closing down its Marion County sawmill, effectively putting 65 people out of work.
Georgia Pacific spokeswoman Melody Ruse tells WDAM-TV employees of the sawmill, located just north of Columbia, were informed of the closure Monday.
Ruse says dwindling housing starts nationwide is the reason for the closure. She says in 2010, there were 581,000 new house built compared to two million in 2005.
Ruse says if market conditions improve in the future the sawmill could re-open. She says the Marion County facility is the only Georgia Pacific property in Mississippi scheduled for closure.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years