MVLP honors volunteers
The Mississippi Bar Center in Jackson has honored the top volunteer attorneys, law students and judges who have worked to assist low-income people with access to legal services. Chancery Judge Marie Wilson of Greenville was honored for allowing the Washington County Chancery Court to partner with MVLP to host quarterly “Pro Se Day” programs in which MVLP clients can attend legal clinics at the chancery court and have their legal matters heard before a chancellor on the spot.
The reception also honored the work of the nine members of the Mississippi Supreme Court. Members of the Supreme Court are Chief Justice Bill Waller Jr., Jackson; Presiding Justice George C. Carlson Jr., Batesville; Presiding Justice Jess H. Dickinson, Gulfport; Justice Michael K. Randolph, Hattiesburg; Justice Ann H. Lamar, Senatobia; Justice James W. Kitchens, Crystal Springs; Justice David A. Chandler, Ackerman; Justice Randy G. Pierce, Leakesville; and Justice Leslie D. King, Greenville.
Attorneys honored include: John Anderson, Hattiesburg; professor Deborah H. Bell, University of Mississippi School of Law, Oxford; Gayla Carpenter-Sanders, Wells Marble & Hurst, Ridgeland; Mark A. Chinn, Chinn and Associates, Jackson; Courtney Cockrell, Morgan & Morgan, Jackson; A. La’Verne Edney and Kenya Rachal, Baker Donelson Bearman Caldwell & Berkowitz, Jackson; Powell “Gee” Ogletree Jr., Adams and Reese, Ridgeland; Denita Smith, Jackson; Vangela Wade, The Wade Law Firm, Ridgeland; and, Robert C. Williamson Jr., Baria-Williamson, Jackson.
Many attorneys asked to remain anonymous.
Law students honored are Tchanavia Bryant of Mansfield, Texas; Frank Leli of Jacksonville, Fla.; Mallory Miller of Madison; and, Kate Morgan of Laurel.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Baker Donelson's David A. Rueff Jr. co-authors guide