Researcher sentenced for wire fraud in grant scheme
by Associated Press
Published: November 6,2011
GULFPORT — A researcher at the University of California at Los Angeles has been sentenced in Gulfport to probation and restitution in a wire-fraud case.
Prosecutors said Michael D. Pottenger of Santa Monica, Calif., accepted a grant of nearly $100,000 that he wasn’t eligible to receive.
The Sun Herald reports Pottenger received three years’ probation and was ordered to make restitution of $133,333. A federal judge also ordered him to perform 100 hours of community service.
The grant was administered by NASA’s Shared Service Center at Stennis Space Center in Hancock County. The indictment alleged the grant was available only to those who agreed to work on the project full-time and who hadn’t requested other federal money for the research.
Pottenger pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud in August. He had remained free on an unsecured bond. He faced up to 20 years in prison.
Court documents show Pottenger, as principal investigator for SmartWear, had received more than $673,000 in federal grants since 2001 for research to include textiles for improved parachute performance and under-armor blast protection. The company develops textiles for consumer, industrial, automotive, aerospace and military markets.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip