Tammy Wynette memorial planned in Itawamba County
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 6,2011
Tags: country music, D-I-V-O-R-C-E, Davis Event Center, Fulton, Itawamba Community College, Mississippi, Mississippi Business Journal, Mississippi Country Music Trail, Stand By Your Man, tammy wynette, Tremont
TREMONT — The proceeds from a concert by George Jones will be used for the construction of a memorial in honor of country music star and Itawamba County native Tammy Wynette.
Mayor Glyn Robinson says the “Tammy Wynette Birthplace Concert” will be held Dec. 3 at Itawamba Community College Davis Event Center in Fulton.
Jones is Wynette’s ex-husband.
Officials are hoping to create a “tourable” replica of Wynette’s childhood home. It would become part of a memorial that includes a Mississippi Country Music Trail marker recently dedicated in a city park.
Wynette was born on a farm near Tremont, where she attended school. She produced20 No. 1 records including “Stand By Your Man,” ”D-I-V-O-R-C-E” and “You and Me.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Tallahatchie General’s listing on auditor’s ‘watchline’ an image set back, CEO says
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Ex-city worker arrested on false pretense charge
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects