Tammy Wynette memorial planned in Itawamba County
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 6,2011
Tags: country music, D-I-V-O-R-C-E, Davis Event Center, Fulton, Itawamba Community College, Mississippi, Mississippi Business Journal, Mississippi Country Music Trail, Stand By Your Man, tammy wynette, Tremont
TREMONT — The proceeds from a concert by George Jones will be used for the construction of a memorial in honor of country music star and Itawamba County native Tammy Wynette.
Mayor Glyn Robinson says the “Tammy Wynette Birthplace Concert” will be held Dec. 3 at Itawamba Community College Davis Event Center in Fulton.
Jones is Wynette’s ex-husband.
Officials are hoping to create a “tourable” replica of Wynette’s childhood home. It would become part of a memorial that includes a Mississippi Country Music Trail marker recently dedicated in a city park.
Wynette was born on a farm near Tremont, where she attended school. She produced20 No. 1 records including “Stand By Your Man,” ”D-I-V-O-R-C-E” and “You and Me.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- SouthGroup Insurance named to 'Best Practices' study
- Senators push for protecting steel producers from imported rebar