Tammy Wynette memorial planned in Itawamba County
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 6,2011
Tags: country music, D-I-V-O-R-C-E, Davis Event Center, Fulton, Itawamba Community College, Mississippi, Mississippi Business Journal, Mississippi Country Music Trail, Stand By Your Man, tammy wynette, Tremont
TREMONT — The proceeds from a concert by George Jones will be used for the construction of a memorial in honor of country music star and Itawamba County native Tammy Wynette.
Mayor Glyn Robinson says the “Tammy Wynette Birthplace Concert” will be held Dec. 3 at Itawamba Community College Davis Event Center in Fulton.
Jones is Wynette’s ex-husband.
Officials are hoping to create a “tourable” replica of Wynette’s childhood home. It would become part of a memorial that includes a Mississippi Country Music Trail marker recently dedicated in a city park.
Wynette was born on a farm near Tremont, where she attended school. She produced20 No. 1 records including “Stand By Your Man,” ”D-I-V-O-R-C-E” and “You and Me.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Court hits David Watkins with $600,000 order over Retro Metro issues