USS Mississippi to be commissioned in June
Published: November 6,2011
GULFPORT — The USS Mississippi, a $2-billion submarine, will be commissioned in the Gulfport Small Craft Harbor in June, according to U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo.
Palazzo, R-Miss., says the event is scheduled for June 2, 2012, with more details to be released later.
Palazzo says having the commissioning in Mississippi is an achievement the whole state can be proud of.
General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton, Conn., and Newport News Shipbuilding, which is a Virginia-based division of Huntington Ingalls, are building the new Virginia-class subs for the Navy.
Construction on the USS Mississippi, designated SSN-782, began in February 2007. The 377-foot-long, 34-foot-diameter, sub is being finished in Groton.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Retired judge to hear McDaniel's challenge of primary loss to Cochran
- PSC's Brandon Presley calls in-state nuclear waste dump a 'harebrained scheme'
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- State's jobless rate remains highest in U.S.
- Former DMR manager pleads guilty to embezzlement
- GOLF ranks state's courses; Fallen Oaks, Dancing Rabbit make top 100
- Court ruling on Section 42 leaves taxpayers on hook for tax repayments
- Wisconsin man pleads guilty to illegal wildlife trapping
- Jackson air fares among most expensive in the nation