USS Mississippi to be commissioned in June
by Associated Press
Published: November 6,2011
GULFPORT — The USS Mississippi, a $2-billion submarine, will be commissioned in the Gulfport Small Craft Harbor in June, according to U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo.
Palazzo, R-Miss., says the event is scheduled for June 2, 2012, with more details to be released later.
Palazzo says having the commissioning in Mississippi is an achievement the whole state can be proud of.
General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton, Conn., and Newport News Shipbuilding, which is a Virginia-based division of Huntington Ingalls, are building the new Virginia-class subs for the Navy.
Construction on the USS Mississippi, designated SSN-782, began in February 2007. The 377-foot-long, 34-foot-diameter, sub is being finished in Groton.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Gulf Coast's design studio teaches lessons on sustainability
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation