USS Mississippi to be commissioned in June
Published: November 6,2011
GULFPORT — The USS Mississippi, a $2-billion submarine, will be commissioned in the Gulfport Small Craft Harbor in June, according to U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo.
Palazzo, R-Miss., says the event is scheduled for June 2, 2012, with more details to be released later.
Palazzo says having the commissioning in Mississippi is an achievement the whole state can be proud of.
General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton, Conn., and Newport News Shipbuilding, which is a Virginia-based division of Huntington Ingalls, are building the new Virginia-class subs for the Navy.
Construction on the USS Mississippi, designated SSN-782, began in February 2007. The 377-foot-long, 34-foot-diameter, sub is being finished in Groton.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus
- Biloxi council approves $29M contract for baseball stadium construction
- Cochran continues to question EPA over new regulations
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19