USS Mississippi to be commissioned in June
Published: November 6,2011
GULFPORT — The USS Mississippi, a $2-billion submarine, will be commissioned in the Gulfport Small Craft Harbor in June, according to U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo.
Palazzo, R-Miss., says the event is scheduled for June 2, 2012, with more details to be released later.
Palazzo says having the commissioning in Mississippi is an achievement the whole state can be proud of.
General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton, Conn., and Newport News Shipbuilding, which is a Virginia-based division of Huntington Ingalls, are building the new Virginia-class subs for the Navy.
Construction on the USS Mississippi, designated SSN-782, began in February 2007. The 377-foot-long, 34-foot-diameter, sub is being finished in Groton.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Jackson’s Landmark Center slated for mixed-use conversion
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Race to the pump: Feds appear ready to beat state on new gas taxes
- Senate transportation chair seeks emergency money for roads, bridges
- 3 dozen groups OK'd for Miss. specialty car tags
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Challenging times ahead for Pearl’s manufactured home residents, apartment complex owners
- Irby commits suicide after wife's prison release