USS Mississippi to be commissioned in June
Published: November 6,2011
GULFPORT — The USS Mississippi, a $2-billion submarine, will be commissioned in the Gulfport Small Craft Harbor in June, according to U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo.
Palazzo, R-Miss., says the event is scheduled for June 2, 2012, with more details to be released later.
Palazzo says having the commissioning in Mississippi is an achievement the whole state can be proud of.
General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton, Conn., and Newport News Shipbuilding, which is a Virginia-based division of Huntington Ingalls, are building the new Virginia-class subs for the Navy.
Construction on the USS Mississippi, designated SSN-782, began in February 2007. The 377-foot-long, 34-foot-diameter, sub is being finished in Groton.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'