Board to hold hearing on proposed railroad abandonment
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 7,2011
WINONA — The Surface Transportation Board recently granted a request sent by the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) to hold a public hearing concerning the petition of abandonment exemption filed by Grenada Railway, LLC.
The Surface Transportation Board will hold a public hearing on the proposed railway abandonment Nov. 16 beginning at 9 a.m.,at the Montgomery County Courthouse, 614 Summit Street in Winona.
The Surface Transportation Board (successor to the Interstate Commerce Commission) is responsible for granting the abandonment of any railroad in the state.
“The abandonment of a significant freight rail line would put this region of Mississippi at a disadvantage when competing for economic development projects and overall job creation,” said Northern District Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert. “Much of Mississippi’s intermodal transportation system depends on rail service and the affected businesses and communities deserve a public hearing to fully understand the proposed rail line abandonment.”
The proposed 81.3-mile stretch of rail runs from Grenada to Canton through Grenada, Montgomery, Carroll, Holmes, Yazoo and Madison counties.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- Gov. Bryant sets special election date for Senate District 17
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money