Board to hold hearing on proposed railroad abandonment
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 7,2011
WINONA — The Surface Transportation Board recently granted a request sent by the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) to hold a public hearing concerning the petition of abandonment exemption filed by Grenada Railway, LLC.
The Surface Transportation Board will hold a public hearing on the proposed railway abandonment Nov. 16 beginning at 9 a.m.,at the Montgomery County Courthouse, 614 Summit Street in Winona.
The Surface Transportation Board (successor to the Interstate Commerce Commission) is responsible for granting the abandonment of any railroad in the state.
“The abandonment of a significant freight rail line would put this region of Mississippi at a disadvantage when competing for economic development projects and overall job creation,” said Northern District Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert. “Much of Mississippi’s intermodal transportation system depends on rail service and the affected businesses and communities deserve a public hearing to fully understand the proposed rail line abandonment.”
The proposed 81.3-mile stretch of rail runs from Grenada to Canton through Grenada, Montgomery, Carroll, Holmes, Yazoo and Madison counties.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer