Board to hold hearing on proposed railroad abandonment
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 7,2011
WINONA — The Surface Transportation Board recently granted a request sent by the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) to hold a public hearing concerning the petition of abandonment exemption filed by Grenada Railway, LLC.
The Surface Transportation Board will hold a public hearing on the proposed railway abandonment Nov. 16 beginning at 9 a.m.,at the Montgomery County Courthouse, 614 Summit Street in Winona.
The Surface Transportation Board (successor to the Interstate Commerce Commission) is responsible for granting the abandonment of any railroad in the state.
“The abandonment of a significant freight rail line would put this region of Mississippi at a disadvantage when competing for economic development projects and overall job creation,” said Northern District Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert. “Much of Mississippi’s intermodal transportation system depends on rail service and the affected businesses and communities deserve a public hearing to fully understand the proposed rail line abandonment.”
The proposed 81.3-mile stretch of rail runs from Grenada to Canton through Grenada, Montgomery, Carroll, Holmes, Yazoo and Madison counties.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- Delta State conference brings renowned speakers
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- (UPDATE) Judge rules on Google request on attorney general inquiry