Board to hold hearing on proposed railroad abandonment
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 7,2011
WINONA — The Surface Transportation Board recently granted a request sent by the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) to hold a public hearing concerning the petition of abandonment exemption filed by Grenada Railway, LLC.
The Surface Transportation Board will hold a public hearing on the proposed railway abandonment Nov. 16 beginning at 9 a.m.,at the Montgomery County Courthouse, 614 Summit Street in Winona.
The Surface Transportation Board (successor to the Interstate Commerce Commission) is responsible for granting the abandonment of any railroad in the state.
“The abandonment of a significant freight rail line would put this region of Mississippi at a disadvantage when competing for economic development projects and overall job creation,” said Northern District Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert. “Much of Mississippi’s intermodal transportation system depends on rail service and the affected businesses and communities deserve a public hearing to fully understand the proposed rail line abandonment.”
The proposed 81.3-mile stretch of rail runs from Grenada to Canton through Grenada, Montgomery, Carroll, Holmes, Yazoo and Madison counties.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- Conservator: Schools had too many employees
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Study says state sacrificing billions of dollars, 20,000 jobs in refusing Medicaid expansion
- Mars Food to celebrate 35 years in Port City
- Council wants more info on proposed baseball stadium