by MBJ Staff
Published: November 13,2011
The Mississippi Transportation Commission has recognized MDOT enforcement officer Andrew Dellapenna for courageous actions that went above and beyond the call of duty. In February, Dellapenna responded to a report of a fisherman falling into frigid waters in a private lake near Kewanee in Lauderdale County. Upon arriving at the scene, he heard cries for help and observed a boat with an occupant holding onto a person in the water. A volunteer fireman had already entered the water to assist the victim, but he also became distressed.
Dellapenna entered the water and was able to assist both men. One of the men was unresponsive and was given medical attention at the shore by EMTs. Both the fisherman and fireman were taken to a nearby hospital, but unfortunately, neither survived.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability