by MBJ Staff
Published: November 13,2011
The Mississippi Transportation Commission has recognized MDOT enforcement officer Andrew Dellapenna for courageous actions that went above and beyond the call of duty. In February, Dellapenna responded to a report of a fisherman falling into frigid waters in a private lake near Kewanee in Lauderdale County. Upon arriving at the scene, he heard cries for help and observed a boat with an occupant holding onto a person in the water. A volunteer fireman had already entered the water to assist the victim, but he also became distressed.
Dellapenna entered the water and was able to assist both men. One of the men was unresponsive and was given medical attention at the shore by EMTs. Both the fisherman and fireman were taken to a nearby hospital, but unfortunately, neither survived.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Deepwater Horizon Five Years Later — Restoring the Mississippi coast starts with a strong foundation
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- Chancery Court’s interpretation of ‘public use’ will guide ruling on Westin money
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey