Storm system leaves 15 injured in Mississippi
Published: November 17,2011
SOUTHEAST MISSISSIPPI — Fifteen people have been injured in a storm system that swept through parts of Jones County Wednesday, causing damage to dozens of homes and buildings in an area north of Laurel.
Only one person was taken to a hospital. No deaths have been reported.
County emergency director Don McKinnon said the path of the damage was narrow but stretched for miles. The most serious damage happened around Mississippi 15 on the northern fringe of Laurel and near the Shady Grove community.
He said that about 35 homes and fewer than 10 commercial structures had been damaged. He said about five homes and a few buildings were destroyed.
McKinnon said some people were trapped for a time in houses that trees had fallen on, or in mobile homes that were tossed off their foundation.
“There were no fatalities, so it’s a good day,” McKinnon said.
He said as many as 2,500 electric customers, mostly served by Laurel-based Dixie Electric Power Association, were without power Wednesday.
In neighboring Jasper County in the area of the Mossville community, one house, a mobile home and four chicken houses were destroyed, said Jasper County EMA director Mike Lucas. He said three other structures were damaged. Lucas said no injuries were reported.
National Weather Service officials said teams were on the scene assessing damage from the Jones-Jasper storm, as well as a second storm that hit Marion and Jefferson Davis counties. Neither has yet been confirmed as a tornado.
Brenda Saulters, the town clerk in Bassfield, said that trees were down south of the Jefferson Davis County town and that power was out for a time. A sheriff’s dispatcher in Marion County said that some structures were damaged in the Bunker Hill community in the northern part of that county.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Storm system leaves 15 injured in Mississippi”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option