Councilmen balk at $107M in redevelopment bonds
Published: November 21,2011
Tags: bonds, commercial development, Commercial Real Estate, community development, construction, downtown, economic development, entertainment, hospitality, municipal government, real estate, redevelopment, tourism, tous=ists, visitors
JACKSON — The Jackson Redevelopment Authority has moved a few steps closer to issuing more than $107 million in bonds for three projects downtown.
But if last week’s city council meeting is any indication, some council members are not at all happy to assist developers seeking the funds.
The Clarion-Ledger reports the city council gave the authority the preliminary go-ahead to issue bonds for the Farish Street Entertainment District and expand the JRA’s footprint downtown. It is a move that will allow the group to float bonds to finance a hotel near the Jackson Convention Complex and a proposed welcome center for the Jackson Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Mayor Harvey Johnson Jr. said the two votes were largely procedural measures.
The authority must return to the council before incurring any debt.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Judge expected to rule today on McDaniel's challenge of loss to Cochran
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November