USM’s new polymer degree gets IHL approval
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 21,2011
HATTIESBURG — The University of Southern Mississippi’s School of Polymers and High Performance Materials has gained approval from the State Institutions of Higher Learning to offer an undergraduate degree in polymer science and engineering, the first of its kind in Mississippi according to USM.
The focus of the program is education and research in the areas of structure and processing of polymeric materials and how these relate to properties and performance. University officials believe the new program meets a national need for graduates in this area of science.
With the establishment of the program, Southern Miss expects to benefit from enhanced student recruiting; attraction of excellent faculty; Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accreditation; increased funding opportunities for research; and, increased interaction with industry, which can lead to relationships resulting in employment opportunities for graduates and additional funding support from the private sector for research.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- Gov. Bryant sets special election date for Senate District 17
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money