USM’s new polymer degree gets IHL approval
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 21,2011
HATTIESBURG — The University of Southern Mississippi’s School of Polymers and High Performance Materials has gained approval from the State Institutions of Higher Learning to offer an undergraduate degree in polymer science and engineering, the first of its kind in Mississippi according to USM.
The focus of the program is education and research in the areas of structure and processing of polymeric materials and how these relate to properties and performance. University officials believe the new program meets a national need for graduates in this area of science.
With the establishment of the program, Southern Miss expects to benefit from enhanced student recruiting; attraction of excellent faculty; Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accreditation; increased funding opportunities for research; and, increased interaction with industry, which can lead to relationships resulting in employment opportunities for graduates and additional funding support from the private sector for research.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year