USM’s new polymer degree gets IHL approval
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 21,2011
HATTIESBURG — The University of Southern Mississippi’s School of Polymers and High Performance Materials has gained approval from the State Institutions of Higher Learning to offer an undergraduate degree in polymer science and engineering, the first of its kind in Mississippi according to USM.
The focus of the program is education and research in the areas of structure and processing of polymeric materials and how these relate to properties and performance. University officials believe the new program meets a national need for graduates in this area of science.
With the establishment of the program, Southern Miss expects to benefit from enhanced student recruiting; attraction of excellent faculty; Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accreditation; increased funding opportunities for research; and, increased interaction with industry, which can lead to relationships resulting in employment opportunities for graduates and additional funding support from the private sector for research.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Stricklin: Deer parasites don't affect quality of venison
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment