USM’s new polymer degree gets IHL approval
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 21,2011
HATTIESBURG — The University of Southern Mississippi’s School of Polymers and High Performance Materials has gained approval from the State Institutions of Higher Learning to offer an undergraduate degree in polymer science and engineering, the first of its kind in Mississippi according to USM.
The focus of the program is education and research in the areas of structure and processing of polymeric materials and how these relate to properties and performance. University officials believe the new program meets a national need for graduates in this area of science.
With the establishment of the program, Southern Miss expects to benefit from enhanced student recruiting; attraction of excellent faculty; Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accreditation; increased funding opportunities for research; and, increased interaction with industry, which can lead to relationships resulting in employment opportunities for graduates and additional funding support from the private sector for research.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Acco Brands investing $1.6M, adding 162 workers
- Secretary of State's Office transitioning to new location