Dillard’s store to ‘pop up’ in downtown Vicksburg
Published: November 22,2011
VICKSBURG — Dillard’s Department Store will bring some Christmas cheer to downtown Vicksburg for two days in November with a “pop-up store.” The special event will be part of Small Business Saturday (Nov. 26) and downtown Vicksburg’s Old Fashioned Christmas Open House Sunday (Nov. 27).
Planned days of operation are Nov. 26 from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and Nov. 27 from 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
Dillard’s will display and sell selected merchandise including UGG boots, Coach bags and perfume.
The goal of the two-day retail store is to increase shopping and traffic in downtown Vicksburg during the holiday shopping season and to encourage buying locally and shopping in the historic downtown.
Dillard’s will occupy 1311 Washington Street, a historic building that was built in the 1880s. During its early years, the three-story building housed a stationery store and the Central Shaving Parlor on the first floor with residences upstairs.
In the 1920s, the Mississippi National Guard Amory occupied the second floor above the shaving parlor. The building has undergone a number of renovations throughout the years, including losing its third floor in 1925.
The Catwalk retail store was the most recent occupant of the building, and prior to it, The Chocolate Derby was located there.
In lieu of paying rent for two days, Dillard’s will donate 10 percent of all sales to the Vicksburg Main Street program.
The two-day special event is a collaborative effort of Vicksburg Main Street and Dillard’s Department Store.
Earlier this year, Dillard’s provided the state’s first “pop-up store” in Canton in conjunction with the Canton Flea Market.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren