Texas housing developer appealing in zoning dispute
Published: November 22,2011
NATCHEZ — A Dallas-based developer will ask the Mississippi Supreme Court to referee a zoning dispute that has so far gone the city of Natchez’s way.
Michael V. Cory Jr., an attorney representing Roundstone Development, LLC, tells The Natchez Democrat the dispute stems from the denial of the company’s request in 2006 to rezone 25 acres for single-family homes.
He said the company planned to build 65 single-family homes on nine acres, leaving the remaining 17 acres open land.
A Natchez planning commission denied the company’s request as did the city council in 2008. A local judge ruled against the company in 2010.
This past week, the state Court of Appeals sided with the city and the local court.
Cory said the company filed the suit because it purchased the land under the impression there would be no problems with developing the housing project.
Cory said the housing development project is dead because the Roundstone lost its tax credit. He said the company is pursuing the matter because the developers still own the land and think it should be zoned residential.
Cory said Roundstone would ask for a rehearing before the Appeals Court and, when that denied, file an appeal with the Supreme Court.
Natchez City Attorney Everett Sanders denied comment because the matter was pending litigation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Entergy gives solar a shot
- Critics say Pearl out to eliminate mobile homes and apartments – not safeguard them
- Challenging times ahead for Pearl’s manufactured home residents, apartment complex owners
- State Sen. McDaniel traveling Mississippi to promote PAC
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Despite obstacles, craft beer industry growing
- (VIDEO) DON GLIDEWELL — The threat of cyber crime to businesses is real
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur