Inland Salvage re-floats sunken river barges
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 23,2011
MISSISSIPPI RIVER — Inland Salvage Inc. of New Orleans recently fought with high-current Mississippi River conditions to re-float a sunken coal barge near Lake Providence, La.
The barge was fully loaded and headed south when it went down in March of this year. Having been on the river bottom this long, the barge was partially buried in river sediment. The salvage crew began the task of digging the wreck clear.
An 80-foot compressed air-lift suction system was assembled and proved to be capable of moving the mud, sand and remaining cargo in the high current.
Once the barge was exposed, the dive team began to survey the condition of the barge. Divers were challenged by the river conditions, but, without incident, they were able to empty the mud filled tanks and rig the wreck to the Inland Salvage heavy lift barges Big Al and Large Marge.
The wreck was raised and, while still held in the cranes, moved toward the bank and into shallow water. Hull surveys found limited damage, and the salvage master determined the barge could be repaired to float on its own again. Welders worked to patch the damaged tanks and soon the barge was floating again without the need for pumps to maintain buoyancy. The barge was then towed to dry dock for repairs.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Quapaw Canoe Company gains legislative support in battle with tax department
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- The link between education and economic development
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- Expeditors working out logistics to open Jackson office next month