State’s casinos saw winnings fall five percent
by Associated Press
Published: November 23,2011
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi’s casinos won $182.2 million in October, down 5 percent from $191.6 million in October 2010.
The 19 river casinos won $93.9 million in October, down 9 percent from $103.5 million in the year-ago month, according to Mississippi Department of Revenue figures. Winnings at the 11 Mississippi coast casinos totaled $88.2 million, up slightly from $88.1 million the previous October.
River winnings are down 12.2 percent through the first 10 months of the year, reflecting the heavy impact of flooding in May and June. Coast winnings down less than 1 percent. Statewide, gross revenue is down 6.9 percent for year, to $1.89 billion, putting Mississippi’s casinos on track for the fourth straight year of declining revenue since 2007′s all-time high.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Doctor's murder-for-hire case postponed, mental evaluation pending
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- ACLU could sue over state's new school prayer law
- Hatchery releases largemouth bass fingerlings in three rivers
- Bill exempting small farms from fuel storage regs passes Senate
- John Fletcher joins Jones Walker