State’s casinos saw winnings fall five percent
by Associated Press
Published: November 23,2011
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi’s casinos won $182.2 million in October, down 5 percent from $191.6 million in October 2010.
The 19 river casinos won $93.9 million in October, down 9 percent from $103.5 million in the year-ago month, according to Mississippi Department of Revenue figures. Winnings at the 11 Mississippi coast casinos totaled $88.2 million, up slightly from $88.1 million the previous October.
River winnings are down 12.2 percent through the first 10 months of the year, reflecting the heavy impact of flooding in May and June. Coast winnings down less than 1 percent. Statewide, gross revenue is down 6.9 percent for year, to $1.89 billion, putting Mississippi’s casinos on track for the fourth straight year of declining revenue since 2007′s all-time high.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data