State’s casinos saw winnings fall five percent
Published: November 23,2011
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi’s casinos won $182.2 million in October, down 5 percent from $191.6 million in October 2010.
The 19 river casinos won $93.9 million in October, down 9 percent from $103.5 million in the year-ago month, according to Mississippi Department of Revenue figures. Winnings at the 11 Mississippi coast casinos totaled $88.2 million, up slightly from $88.1 million the previous October.
River winnings are down 12.2 percent through the first 10 months of the year, reflecting the heavy impact of flooding in May and June. Coast winnings down less than 1 percent. Statewide, gross revenue is down 6.9 percent for year, to $1.89 billion, putting Mississippi’s casinos on track for the fourth straight year of declining revenue since 2007’s all-time high.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- MBJ Business Woman of the Year Top 10
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- (UPDATED — BREAKING NEWS) American Specialty Alloys won’t locate $1.2B mill in Mississippi
- Meet the MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year — Rosemary Smith, a business hotshot
- DAVID DALLAS — Delbert Hosemann: An unsung hero chooses to remain so