Mayor turns over $53,000 in receipts to auditors
Published: November 29,2011
SOUTHAVEN — Southaven Mayor Greg Davis has turned over receipts for $53,000 to state auditors. He’s hoping to make a dent in the $170,000 he has been told to pay by Friday.
The auditor’s office said Nov. 2 that a demand letter included $153,589 for expenses, $16,822 for interest and $13,571 for investigative costs.
Davis tells The Commercial Appeal the $53,000 represents money spent at local restaurants over the past 2 1/2 years on city business.
“I have come up with $53,000 in receipts and turned them over to the auditor’s office for review,” Davis said. “We are still working to find more receipts.”
The auditor’s office confirmed yesterday that investigators have received the receipts, which Davis mailed before Thanksgiving.
“We have received them, but I can’t comment any further other than to say investigators are reviewing them and they will communicate with the mayor if the receipts are acceptable,” said Lisa Shoemaker, a spokeswoman for the auditor’s office.
Shoemaker said Auditor Stacey Pickering will issue a statement Friday about the repayment demand.
The investigation leading to the order revealed charges that included family counseling, clothing purchases and personal meals and entertainment, all charged to a city-issued credit card or to Davis’s personal card for reimbursement by the city.
“If the funds are not recovered, a civil lawsuit could be filed,” Shoemaker said. “Criminal charges could also be pursued by local and federal authorities.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'