Mayor turns over $53,000 in receipts to auditors
Published: November 29,2011
SOUTHAVEN — Southaven Mayor Greg Davis has turned over receipts for $53,000 to state auditors. He’s hoping to make a dent in the $170,000 he has been told to pay by Friday.
The auditor’s office said Nov. 2 that a demand letter included $153,589 for expenses, $16,822 for interest and $13,571 for investigative costs.
Davis tells The Commercial Appeal the $53,000 represents money spent at local restaurants over the past 2 1/2 years on city business.
“I have come up with $53,000 in receipts and turned them over to the auditor’s office for review,” Davis said. “We are still working to find more receipts.”
The auditor’s office confirmed yesterday that investigators have received the receipts, which Davis mailed before Thanksgiving.
“We have received them, but I can’t comment any further other than to say investigators are reviewing them and they will communicate with the mayor if the receipts are acceptable,” said Lisa Shoemaker, a spokeswoman for the auditor’s office.
Shoemaker said Auditor Stacey Pickering will issue a statement Friday about the repayment demand.
The investigation leading to the order revealed charges that included family counseling, clothing purchases and personal meals and entertainment, all charged to a city-issued credit card or to Davis’s personal card for reimbursement by the city.
“If the funds are not recovered, a civil lawsuit could be filed,” Shoemaker said. “Criminal charges could also be pursued by local and federal authorities.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics