MDEQ to begin post-oil spill shoreline inspections
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 1,2011
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) is working with the Gulf Coast Incident Management Team (GCIMT), Unified Command (UC) to inform landowners that inspections for material from the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill will begin soon on shoreline segments that have previously been determined to meet response cleanup criteria and designated inactive.
The inspections are being conducted after the 2011 hurricane season on selected segments that were affected by the oil spill. Hurricane season ends November 30.
Shorelines that had previously been declared inactive will be inspected and required to meet cleanup criteria determined by the federal government and the states. Areas that do not meet this criteria will be returned to active response status.
“We are nearing the end of response efforts in Mississippi, and we want to ensure that all landowners possibly affected by the oil spill are given an opportunity to report any material they believe originated from the BP spill,” said Richard Harrell, MDEQ’s response and restoration coordinator.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “MDEQ to begin post-oil spill shoreline inspections”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BRENT CHRISTENSEN — Entrepreneurs: A vital fuel for Mississippi’s Economy
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom