Majestic Star emerges from Chapter 11 bankruptcy
Published: December 2,2011
ROBINSONVILLE — Majestic Star Casino, which owns Fitzgeralds Casino Hotel in Robinsonville, has emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization.
The Las Vegas company said it had eliminated more than $500 million in debt. The company is now owned by former lenders, with Minnesota-based Wayzata Investment Partners the largest shareholder.
Fitzgeralds, one of nine casinos in Tunica County, had 666 employees at Sept. 30.
Majestic Star also owns two casinos with that name in Gary, Ind., and a Fitzgeralds casino in Black Hawk, Colo. The company filed for bankruptcy in November 2009, with debts of $771 million versus assets of $402 million, citing the recession and increased competition.
Another company recently gave Resorts and Bally’s casinos in Tunica to lenders to save a casino in Atlantic City, N.J.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Tax slasher productions comes to Mississippi
- Status of some bills in the Mississippi Legislature
- Proposed ammo ban empties shelves
- Locker doors opening for Clinton inventor after ‘Shark Tank’
- Columbus-built Airbus gets FAA airworthiness approval
- BILL CRAWFORD: Gunn steals tax cut spotlight
- Bill would make only 1 hospital follow open-meetings act
- Hattiesburg wastewater treatment system could cost $152M
- Olive Branch votes to issue $8 million in bonds