Officials looking at plans to rebuild tornado-damaged town
by Associated Press
Published: December 6,2011
STARKVILLE and SMITHVILLE — Smithville officials are in Starkville today to see recovery ideas developed by Mississippi State University students for the town, which was devastated by a tornado in April.
Professor John Poros says the 27 architecture students worked up 11 plans for a municipal complex — some with one building, some with as many as three.
Each includes mayor’s and town clerk’s offices, fire and police stations, a library and a public assembly room. Smithville’s infrastructure committee and officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency set the requirements at a meeting earlier this year.
Poros says the designs are meant to provide ideas that town officials can use when they meet with architects.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast