Southern Motion expanding into Baldwyn
Published: December 6,2011
BALDWYN — Southern Motion, a reclining furniture manufacturer is expanding into Baldwyn in Prentiss County where it will manufacture a new line of upholstered recliners.
The company is locating into the 192,500-square-foot building formerly occupied by ForeFront Golf. The expansion represents a company investment of $3 million and will create 150 new jobs over the next three years.
Southern Motion also has manufacturing operations in Pontotoc, where the company employs approximately 915 workers.
“On behalf of Guy Lipscomb, CEO, myself and the entire Southern Motion family, we are very excited about the opportunity to expand our business in Baldwyn. We are very appreciative of the State of Mississippi and the officials from Baldwyn and Prentiss County who worked diligently to establish this partnership,” said Southern Motion president Roger Bland. “We are truly proud to be able to continue to add American workers to our payroll while others are moving jobs to China.”
The Mississippi Development Authority provided assistance for the project through the Momentum Mississippi Incentives program for modifications to the building in which Southern Motion will be located. Also, the Appalachian Regional Commission and Prentiss County provided assistance for infrastructure improvements at the site, and the City of Baldwyn donated land to be used for truck access.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate