Southern Motion expanding into Baldwyn
by Associated Press
Published: December 6,2011
BALDWYN — Southern Motion, a reclining furniture manufacturer is expanding into Baldwyn in Prentiss County where it will manufacture a new line of upholstered recliners.
The company is locating into the 192,500-square-foot building formerly occupied by ForeFront Golf. The expansion represents a company investment of $3 million and will create 150 new jobs over the next three years.
Southern Motion also has manufacturing operations in Pontotoc, where the company employs approximately 915 workers.
“On behalf of Guy Lipscomb, CEO, myself and the entire Southern Motion family, we are very excited about the opportunity to expand our business in Baldwyn. We are very appreciative of the State of Mississippi and the officials from Baldwyn and Prentiss County who worked diligently to establish this partnership,” said Southern Motion president Roger Bland. “We are truly proud to be able to continue to add American workers to our payroll while others are moving jobs to China.”
The Mississippi Development Authority provided assistance for the project through the Momentum Mississippi Incentives program for modifications to the building in which Southern Motion will be located. Also, the Appalachian Regional Commission and Prentiss County provided assistance for infrastructure improvements at the site, and the City of Baldwyn donated land to be used for truck access.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Education officials changing school rating system
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Historic COFO building demolished due to structural problems
- Capital City voters to elect new mayor in runoff
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- New shareholders named for Copeland, Cook, Taylor and Bush
- MSU's Gilbert named finalist for Austin Peay presidency
- Communities vie for TVA sustainability designation
- American HealthTech passes Medicare tests
- First Corolla earmarked for export rolls off of Toyota's line