Ex-road manager, wife accused of Katrina-related fraud
by Associated Press
Published: December 8,2011
BAY ST. LOUIS — A former Mississippi county road manager and his wife have been indicted on two federal charges of Hurricane Katrina fraud.
Roger Ladner was road manager for Hancock County, home to quiet little beach towns like Bay. St. Louis and Waveland, and some of the hardest hit areas from the 2005 storm.
Ladner and his wife, Sharon, were indicted Tuesday. Prosecutors say Ladner was given the authority to award millions of dollars in ditch cleaning contracts, with some going to relatives, with a portion of the money funneled back to him and his wife.
The couple’s lawyers say in a statement that the Ladners are “confident in their innocence” and look forward to trial to “clear their good names.”
The indictment was first reported by the Sea Coast Echo.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- Conservator: Schools had too many employees
- Study says state sacrificing billions of dollars, 20,000 jobs in refusing Medicaid expansion
- Lost Pizza discovered — Restaurateurs begin franchising
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Keeping our eye on ... Laurel Donahoo