Coast harbor gets payment from BP for oil spill
Published: December 9,2011
BAY ST. LOUIS — The Hancock County Port and Harbor Commission has received a $509,000 settlement with BP.
Port and harbor director Jack Zink says the commission has agreed not to sue BP over the 2010 oil spill.
Zink tells the Sea Coast Echo the damage did not come from the oil, but rather from activity at the Stennis Airport. The commission runs the airport.
In the weeks and months following the oil spill, Zink says planes carrying disperse materials to the site flew in and out of the airport.
He says the planes caused damage to the runway and taxi areas of the airport. Zink says the money will be used to repair the damage at the airport.
In a separate item, the city of Bay St. Louis wants to make some changes to its proposed municipal marina.
The Sea Coast Echo reports the city wants a permit to change construction pilings, offer a new deck design and to fill in thousands of square feet of water bottoms.
The marina will not contain a boat launch or allow commercial fishing activity. It is being paid for with about $17 million in federal funds.
Bay St. Louis previously received permits to build the facility.
The state Department of Marine Resources and the Office of Pollution Control must approve the revisions.
The permanent filling of 9,075 feet of water bottoms requires a variance to the Mississippi Coastal Program, which discourages permanent filling of coastal wetland.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics