Hanco awarded storm shelter construction contracts
Published: December 9,2011
PEARL RIVER COUNTY — Pearl River County has received a low bid on three storm shelters.
The Picayune Item reports the board of supervisors hopes to formally award the contract to Hanco Corp. Dec. 19 after federal and state reviews.
County Emergency Management Director Danny Manley says the shelters will be located at the fairgrounds in Poplarville, at Pearl River Central High School and at Picayune Memorial High School.
The total cost is expected to be about $9 million.
The shelters will be constructed to house storm refugees over a 36-hour period. The shelters will have their own generators to maintain power, air conditioning, their own water supply and rest room facilities.
The shelters, when completed, will be able to withstand sustained winds of 200 mph.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- George Flaggs regrets repayment flaw in lending law
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments