SoS: Be careful with charitable donations
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 13,2011
JACKSON — Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann is reminding Mississippians to be smart with their donated dollars this Christmas by checking their charity with the Secretary of State’s Office.
“The holidays bring out the best in most people,” says Hosemann. “Unfortunately, it can bring out the worst in some, as well.”
Each year, the Secretary of State’s Office publishes “Report on Charitable Organizations in Mississippi.” This report outlines the financial information of charities registered in the State, in addition to the percentage of charitable funds actually spent by a charity for its charitable purpose.
The Better Business Bureau recommends at least 65 percent of total expenses of a charitable organization should be spent on program activities directly related to the organization’s purpose.
A copy of the “Report on Charitable Organizations” is available at www.sos.ms.gov/charitiesreport.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years