SoS: Be careful with charitable donations
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 13,2011
JACKSON — Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann is reminding Mississippians to be smart with their donated dollars this Christmas by checking their charity with the Secretary of State’s Office.
“The holidays bring out the best in most people,” says Hosemann. “Unfortunately, it can bring out the worst in some, as well.”
Each year, the Secretary of State’s Office publishes “Report on Charitable Organizations in Mississippi.” This report outlines the financial information of charities registered in the State, in addition to the percentage of charitable funds actually spent by a charity for its charitable purpose.
The Better Business Bureau recommends at least 65 percent of total expenses of a charitable organization should be spent on program activities directly related to the organization’s purpose.
A copy of the “Report on Charitable Organizations” is available at www.sos.ms.gov/charitiesreport.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Nullification and interposition
- Court rules in clinic dispute involving St. Dominic, HMA
- TROTTER: Social security claiming strategies
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Commission eyeing unauthorized changes to historic structures
- With no interim, board begins hunt for MVSU president
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district