SoS: Be careful with charitable donations
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 13,2011
JACKSON — Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann is reminding Mississippians to be smart with their donated dollars this Christmas by checking their charity with the Secretary of State’s Office.
“The holidays bring out the best in most people,” says Hosemann. “Unfortunately, it can bring out the worst in some, as well.”
Each year, the Secretary of State’s Office publishes “Report on Charitable Organizations in Mississippi.” This report outlines the financial information of charities registered in the State, in addition to the percentage of charitable funds actually spent by a charity for its charitable purpose.
The Better Business Bureau recommends at least 65 percent of total expenses of a charitable organization should be spent on program activities directly related to the organization’s purpose.
A copy of the “Report on Charitable Organizations” is available at www.sos.ms.gov/charitiesreport.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics