SoS: Be careful with charitable donations
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 13,2011
JACKSON — Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann is reminding Mississippians to be smart with their donated dollars this Christmas by checking their charity with the Secretary of State’s Office.
“The holidays bring out the best in most people,” says Hosemann. “Unfortunately, it can bring out the worst in some, as well.”
Each year, the Secretary of State’s Office publishes “Report on Charitable Organizations in Mississippi.” This report outlines the financial information of charities registered in the State, in addition to the percentage of charitable funds actually spent by a charity for its charitable purpose.
The Better Business Bureau recommends at least 65 percent of total expenses of a charitable organization should be spent on program activities directly related to the organization’s purpose.
A copy of the “Report on Charitable Organizations” is available at www.sos.ms.gov/charitiesreport.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday