MDOT cuts ribbon on two major road projects
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 15,2011
SOUTHEAST MISSISSIPPI — The Mississippi Department of Transportation’s (MDOT) District Six marked the completion of two major projects spanning Wayne, George and Greene counties in a ribbon-cutting held today.
The four-lane construction of 25 miles of roadway on Highway 63 and Highway 57 in George and Greene counties is now completed. This provides a north-south four-lane corridor through Mississippi from the Coast to Tennessee, involving new roadway from Highway 63 along the coast, to Highway 57 at Leakesville, then connecting to Highway 45 at State Line and ending near Corinth at the Tennessee state line. The project was awarded in 2008 to Tanner Construction of Ellisville for $42.1 million.
The $26.3-million U.S. Highway 84 project, awarded to Dunn Roadbuilders of Laurel, began in 2009, and involved expanding the two-lane highway into four lanes, building a new bridge, and constructing roadway on new location. The newly constructed 10 mile section of roadway ties into what is known as the “El Camino Corridor,” providing a four-lane corridor from Natchez at the Louisiana state line continuing east to the Alabama state line. This project signifies the completion of the 1987 Four- Lane Program in Mississippi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division