Barbour: Budget process should be transparent
Published: December 16,2011
BILOXI — Republican Gov. Haley Barbour says Mississippi needs to be honest and transparent in its budget process.
The Mississippi Press reports Barbour discussed the budget process yesterday before an audience of about 50 in Biloxi.
It was the final of three farewell speeches for the two-term governor, who leaves office Jan. 10.
Yesterday, Barbour touched on many points he has made the past several years about the budget. He says school systems should spend some of their own financial reserves and cut administrative expenses.
He also says the state can save money by having more home-based care rather than institutional care for mental health patients.
Next week, Barbour will release his proposed budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- Man charged in noose left on integration statue at Ole Miss