Barbour: Budget process should be transparent
Published: December 16,2011
BILOXI — Republican Gov. Haley Barbour says Mississippi needs to be honest and transparent in its budget process.
The Mississippi Press reports Barbour discussed the budget process yesterday before an audience of about 50 in Biloxi.
It was the final of three farewell speeches for the two-term governor, who leaves office Jan. 10.
Yesterday, Barbour touched on many points he has made the past several years about the budget. He says school systems should spend some of their own financial reserves and cut administrative expenses.
He also says the state can save money by having more home-based care rather than institutional care for mental health patients.
Next week, Barbour will release his proposed budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- Investors in Northbrook complex say Ridgeland targeting its own collateral for demolition
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Mississippi furniture makers on rebound with more exports