Barbour: Budget process should be transparent
Published: December 16,2011
BILOXI — Republican Gov. Haley Barbour says Mississippi needs to be honest and transparent in its budget process.
The Mississippi Press reports Barbour discussed the budget process yesterday before an audience of about 50 in Biloxi.
It was the final of three farewell speeches for the two-term governor, who leaves office Jan. 10.
Yesterday, Barbour touched on many points he has made the past several years about the budget. He says school systems should spend some of their own financial reserves and cut administrative expenses.
He also says the state can save money by having more home-based care rather than institutional care for mental health patients.
Next week, Barbour will release his proposed budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast