Barbour: Budget process should be transparent
Published: December 16,2011
BILOXI — Republican Gov. Haley Barbour says Mississippi needs to be honest and transparent in its budget process.
The Mississippi Press reports Barbour discussed the budget process yesterday before an audience of about 50 in Biloxi.
It was the final of three farewell speeches for the two-term governor, who leaves office Jan. 10.
Yesterday, Barbour touched on many points he has made the past several years about the budget. He says school systems should spend some of their own financial reserves and cut administrative expenses.
He also says the state can save money by having more home-based care rather than institutional care for mental health patients.
Next week, Barbour will release his proposed budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant