Barbour: Budget process should be transparent
by Associated Press
Published: December 16,2011
BILOXI — Republican Gov. Haley Barbour says Mississippi needs to be honest and transparent in its budget process.
The Mississippi Press reports Barbour discussed the budget process yesterday before an audience of about 50 in Biloxi.
It was the final of three farewell speeches for the two-term governor, who leaves office Jan. 10.
Yesterday, Barbour touched on many points he has made the past several years about the budget. He says school systems should spend some of their own financial reserves and cut administrative expenses.
He also says the state can save money by having more home-based care rather than institutional care for mental health patients.
Next week, Barbour will release his proposed budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Court to hear case involving alligators and ExxonMobil