Avery honored with award
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 18,2011
Tags: agriculture, aquaculture, catfish, Jimmy Avery, Mississippi State Extension Service, Mississippi State University, MSU, STARKVILLE, Stoneville, Trade Adjustment Assistance for Farmers, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Vietnam catfish
Mississippi State University has recognized Extension professor Jimmy Avery with a Spirit of Excellence Award.
As Mississippi’s only Extension catfish specialist, Avery has spent the last several years working to revitalize an industry in which Mississippi excels. That leading position has been hit hard recently due to foreign imports and falling prices. He coordinated efforts of several colleagues to initiate the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s 2009 Trade Adjustment Assistance for Farmers program.
Avery led in developing a coordinated national effort to contest foreign imports of catfish into the six major catfish producing states. The team developed a series of lectures and distance education to instruct applicants. Eight meetings in Stoneville and Starkville provided 1,074 clients with nearly 14,000 hours of instruction. Mississippi producers have received nearly $2.4 million dollars in support payments with just over two million dollars of payments pending.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency