SoS orders funeral home to cease and desist
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 19,2011
VICKSBURG — Williams Funeral Home in Vicksburg has been notified to cease and desist from selling funeral pre-need goods and services to the public and to pay $13,000 in fines to the State of Mississippi in a final order issued by Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann.
In 2008, Williams was ordered to cease and desist from selling pre-need merchandise and services to the public. Since that time, the Secretary of State’s Office has found Williams Funeral Home sold at least 11 pre-need contracts.
In his final order, Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann concluded Williams Funeral Home not only sold 11 pre-need contracts outside of a prior cease and desist order, the funeral home also failed to establish a pre-need trust fund with the funds obtained through those sales.
For these violations, Hosemann has ordered Williams to pay a fine of $8,000. A fine of $5,000 remains unpaid from the September 2008 order.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Doctor's murder-for-hire case postponed, mental evaluation pending
- ACLU could sue over state's new school prayer law
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Hatchery releases largemouth bass fingerlings in three rivers
- Bill exempting small farms from fuel storage regs passes Senate
- John Fletcher joins Jones Walker