SoS orders funeral home to cease and desist
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 19,2011
VICKSBURG — Williams Funeral Home in Vicksburg has been notified to cease and desist from selling funeral pre-need goods and services to the public and to pay $13,000 in fines to the State of Mississippi in a final order issued by Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann.
In 2008, Williams was ordered to cease and desist from selling pre-need merchandise and services to the public. Since that time, the Secretary of State’s Office has found Williams Funeral Home sold at least 11 pre-need contracts.
In his final order, Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann concluded Williams Funeral Home not only sold 11 pre-need contracts outside of a prior cease and desist order, the funeral home also failed to establish a pre-need trust fund with the funds obtained through those sales.
For these violations, Hosemann has ordered Williams to pay a fine of $8,000. A fine of $5,000 remains unpaid from the September 2008 order.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability