SoS orders funeral home to cease and desist
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 19,2011
VICKSBURG — Williams Funeral Home in Vicksburg has been notified to cease and desist from selling funeral pre-need goods and services to the public and to pay $13,000 in fines to the State of Mississippi in a final order issued by Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann.
In 2008, Williams was ordered to cease and desist from selling pre-need merchandise and services to the public. Since that time, the Secretary of State’s Office has found Williams Funeral Home sold at least 11 pre-need contracts.
In his final order, Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann concluded Williams Funeral Home not only sold 11 pre-need contracts outside of a prior cease and desist order, the funeral home also failed to establish a pre-need trust fund with the funds obtained through those sales.
For these violations, Hosemann has ordered Williams to pay a fine of $8,000. A fine of $5,000 remains unpaid from the September 2008 order.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Fair cabins becoming more valuable, sources say
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet