Mystery calls could mean Palazzo will face challenger
Published: December 20,2011
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Phone calls relaying negative information about Republican Steven Palazzo could indicate a challenger is gearing up to run against the freshman congressman from south Mississippi.
No one has announced a run against Palazzo. Congressional candidates qualify Jan. 2 to Jan. 13.
The Mississippi Press reports Palazzo was recently the subject of a push poll, with leading questions meant to lower a listener’s opinion of him.
He has come under scrutiny since unseating longtime Democrat Gene Taylor in November 2010.
Palazzo faced questions about whether he had adequately restructured his accounting firm to meet legal requirements, about using congressional staff to conduct personal business and about taking a trip to Israel paid for by a lobbying group.
In all cases, Palazzo says he has acted ethically and legally.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger