Mystery calls could mean Palazzo will face challenger
Published: December 20,2011
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Phone calls relaying negative information about Republican Steven Palazzo could indicate a challenger is gearing up to run against the freshman congressman from south Mississippi.
No one has announced a run against Palazzo. Congressional candidates qualify Jan. 2 to Jan. 13.
The Mississippi Press reports Palazzo was recently the subject of a push poll, with leading questions meant to lower a listener’s opinion of him.
He has come under scrutiny since unseating longtime Democrat Gene Taylor in November 2010.
Palazzo faced questions about whether he had adequately restructured his accounting firm to meet legal requirements, about using congressional staff to conduct personal business and about taking a trip to Israel paid for by a lobbying group.
In all cases, Palazzo says he has acted ethically and legally.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- McDaniel alleges GOP race-baiting; says party should be 'purged'
- Mississippi Power conducts successful tests at Kemper plant
- Seafood dealer/processor guilty of illegal handling of oysters
- Chevron U.S.A.'s base oil facility begins production
- Medical transportation company opening operation/call center
- Corn growers watch bear market eat profits
- Chinese drywall manufacturer fined, banned from doing business in U.S.