Mystery calls could mean Palazzo will face challenger
Published: December 20,2011
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Phone calls relaying negative information about Republican Steven Palazzo could indicate a challenger is gearing up to run against the freshman congressman from south Mississippi.
No one has announced a run against Palazzo. Congressional candidates qualify Jan. 2 to Jan. 13.
The Mississippi Press reports Palazzo was recently the subject of a push poll, with leading questions meant to lower a listener’s opinion of him.
He has come under scrutiny since unseating longtime Democrat Gene Taylor in November 2010.
Palazzo faced questions about whether he had adequately restructured his accounting firm to meet legal requirements, about using congressional staff to conduct personal business and about taking a trip to Israel paid for by a lobbying group.
In all cases, Palazzo says he has acted ethically and legally.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- Leadership in Law nomination form