Mystery calls could mean Palazzo will face challenger
Published: December 20,2011
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Phone calls relaying negative information about Republican Steven Palazzo could indicate a challenger is gearing up to run against the freshman congressman from south Mississippi.
No one has announced a run against Palazzo. Congressional candidates qualify Jan. 2 to Jan. 13.
The Mississippi Press reports Palazzo was recently the subject of a push poll, with leading questions meant to lower a listener’s opinion of him.
He has come under scrutiny since unseating longtime Democrat Gene Taylor in November 2010.
Palazzo faced questions about whether he had adequately restructured his accounting firm to meet legal requirements, about using congressional staff to conduct personal business and about taking a trip to Israel paid for by a lobbying group.
In all cases, Palazzo says he has acted ethically and legally.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete
- Cochran calls on EPA for review of Yazoo Backwater Project
- State Sen. Gandy hospitalized in South America
- Number of requests for general election absentee ballots roughly same as primary
- Camgian launches Internet of Things product called Egburt
- Former Mississippi First Lady Carroll Waller dies at 87
- After string of losses, O'Hara sees himself as Senate 'protest vote'