Mystery calls could mean Palazzo will face challenger
Published: December 20,2011
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Phone calls relaying negative information about Republican Steven Palazzo could indicate a challenger is gearing up to run against the freshman congressman from south Mississippi.
No one has announced a run against Palazzo. Congressional candidates qualify Jan. 2 to Jan. 13.
The Mississippi Press reports Palazzo was recently the subject of a push poll, with leading questions meant to lower a listener’s opinion of him.
He has come under scrutiny since unseating longtime Democrat Gene Taylor in November 2010.
Palazzo faced questions about whether he had adequately restructured his accounting firm to meet legal requirements, about using congressional staff to conduct personal business and about taking a trip to Israel paid for by a lobbying group.
In all cases, Palazzo says he has acted ethically and legally.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House