Mystery calls could mean Palazzo will face challenger
Published: December 20,2011
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Phone calls relaying negative information about Republican Steven Palazzo could indicate a challenger is gearing up to run against the freshman congressman from south Mississippi.
No one has announced a run against Palazzo. Congressional candidates qualify Jan. 2 to Jan. 13.
The Mississippi Press reports Palazzo was recently the subject of a push poll, with leading questions meant to lower a listener’s opinion of him.
He has come under scrutiny since unseating longtime Democrat Gene Taylor in November 2010.
Palazzo faced questions about whether he had adequately restructured his accounting firm to meet legal requirements, about using congressional staff to conduct personal business and about taking a trip to Israel paid for by a lobbying group.
In all cases, Palazzo says he has acted ethically and legally.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- SouthGroup Insurance named to 'Best Practices' study
- Senators push for protecting steel producers from imported rebar