Jobless rate dips in November
by Associated Press
Published: December 21,2011
That’s down from 10.6 percent in October, but above the 10.2 percent rate in November 2010. Mississippi remains tied for the third-highest jobless rate among the states.
Bureau of Labor Statistics figures show the number of unemployed people fell from 144,100 in October to 142,000 in November, when seasonally adjusted. The size of the labor force also fell by about 2,000 people, accounting for the dip in unemployed people.
Unemployment rates fell in 79 of 82 counties, and were level in the other three. But those numbers aren’t adjusted to smooth out normal seasonal fluctuations.
The national unemployment rate fell to 8.6 percent in November from 9 percent in October.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Doctor's murder-for-hire case postponed, mental evaluation pending
- ACLU could sue over state's new school prayer law
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Hatchery releases largemouth bass fingerlings in three rivers
- Bill exempting small farms from fuel storage regs passes Senate
- John Fletcher joins Jones Walker