District, house, cemetery make historic register
by Associated Press
Published: December 22,2011
AROUND MISSISSIPPI — A historic district, a cemetery and house have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
On the recommendation of the Mississippi Historic Preservation Professional Review Board, the Department of the Interior approved the addition of the International Shipbuilding Company Employee Housing Historic District in Jackson County, the Midway Methodist Church and Cemetery in Carroll County and the Emile Cohn House in Lincoln County.
The International Shipbuilding Company Employee Housing Historic District is an intact historic neighborhood in Pascagoula that was originally part of a workers’ housing enclave constructed circa 1918 by International Shipbuilding. The neighborhood illustrates the effort to provide housing for workers during the World War I era.
Although some of the houses have been altered, most retain a high degree of physical integrity. The scale and placement of these houses as well as their relationship to each other and to the street is unchanged from the time of their original construction.
Dating back to 1860 the Midway Methodist Church and Cemetery are located in Carroll County and are the last visible reminders of the settlement of the Midway community. The church is a local example of an antebellum rural vernacular Greek Revival church. Although the church now used primarily for the annual homecoming, burials continue in the cemetery located immediately to the west of the church.
Built in 1903 the Emile Cohn House on South Jackson Street in Brookhaven is a notable residential example of the Beaux Arts architecture in town with its rich use of balustrades, pilasters, swags and garland. Original wood siding, shutters, and windows contribute to the building’s significance, and the well-preserved interior features original stained glass windows, lighting and heart pine inlaid patterned floors.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data