Kemper County clean coal plant heard before Supreme Court
Justices say the issue is about more than the issue of coal; it’s about why the PSC flip-flopped ruling
Published: December 25,2011
Oral arguments were heard Dec. 14 before the Mississippi Supreme Court in the case regarding Mississippi Power’s $2.4 billion clean coal plant under construction in Kemper County.
The Sierra Club is appealing a decision made by Harrison County Chancery Court to uphold the state Public Service Commission’s decision to allow Mississippi Power to build the plant. Sierra is concerned about environmental and rate impacts to customers. They argue the Commission didn’t justify its decision to allow the company to build the plant and is thus in violation of state statute requiring them to do so.
Three justices who heard the case said they hadn’t been able to find evidence that state regulators used to justify their decision. Parties may be asked to provide additional briefs or to argue the case before all nine justices.
Mississippi Power serves fewer than 190,000 people in 23 southeastern Mississippi counties.
• HONORABLE MENTION •
OTHER HONORABLE MENTION STORIES
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Kemper County clean coal plant heard before Supreme Court”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- The Blues and higher education — Delta State launches the International Delta Blues Project
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Singing River shutting doors on two Coast clinics
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62