Commission names McGrath as MDOT executive director
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 4,2012
JACKSON — The Mississippi Transportation Commission unanimously voted yesterday to appoint Melinda L. McGrath as executive director of the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT).
Since February of 2011, McGrath has served as interim executive director/chief engineer of MDOT. Prior to that, she served as deputy executive director/chief engineer since August 2008. As chief engineer, she was the chief technical officer over the Office of Highways and responsible for the development and execution of all technical policies and procedures.
McGrath began her engineering career in MDOT’s Bridge Division and then proceeded to the districts to manage various types of construction projects and maintenance operations. After serving as project engineer in both the Northern and Southern Districts and serving as the district area engineer over six coast counties, she was named assistant chief engineer-field operations in 2003. As assistant chief engineer, she planned and administered the $1-billion Hurricane Katrina Emergency Recovery Program as well as administering the first two design/build contracts, which were in excess of $600 Million.
McGrath is a member of the AASHTO Standing Committee on Highways, AASHTO Highway Traffic Safety Subcommittee on Safety Management and serves on the Construction Material Industries Advisory Board for Mississippi State University Bagley College of Engineering. Professional memberships also include Mississippi Road Builders’ Association (MRBA), Southeastern Pavement Preservation Partnership, Mississippi Asphalt Pavement Association (MAPA) and Mississippi Engineering Society.
She graduated from Mississippi State University in 1985 with a bachelor of science degree in civil engineering.
McGrath and her husband, Hoyt, have three children, Margaret, Katherine, and Jacob.
“Melinda has been such an asset to MDOT in all her capacities from the district office to the top level of administration,” said Central District Commissioner Dick Hall, chairman. “We (the Mississippi Transportation Commission) know that she will continue to do an excellent job leading this agency and furthering our mission of providing a safe, effective and efficient intermodal transportation system and we look forward to our continued good working relationship.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Commission names McGrath as MDOT executive director”
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Deepwater Horizon Five Years Later — Restoring the Mississippi coast starts with a strong foundation
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- Chancery Court’s interpretation of ‘public use’ will guide ruling on Westin money
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey