Iconic furniture store closing after 67 years
Published: January 6,2012
BOONEVILLE — A downtown furniture store that has been open for 67 years in Booneville is closing.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports Dickerson Furniture began its store closing sale this week.
Hugh Dickerson opened the store in 1945, originally selling furniture and appliances. However, the store has offered only furniture since the 1950s.
Marshall Dickerson bought the store from his father 34 years ago.
“We used to be more full range with all types of furniture, but the past 10 to 12 years so much of the wood furniture was made in the east it became too costly for the size of our store,” Dickerson said. “More recently it’s been mostly upholstered furniture, and we’ve been a La-Z-Boy Comfort Studio dealer, along with bedding, things that have to be replaced.”
He said those products have carried the business through the past four years’ slow economy, but that has come to an end.
“Our last really good year was 2007,” Dickerson said. “Furniture is one of those discretionary items that people can put off if it’s something they don’t have to have. In a better economy I probably would have stayed in three or four more years.”
Dickerson is also offering his two downtown buildings for sale. One is the one-story furniture store while the other is a four-story building.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- McDaniel files legal arguments as he looks to overturn Cochran loss
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner