Iconic furniture store closing after 67 years
Published: January 6,2012
BOONEVILLE — A downtown furniture store that has been open for 67 years in Booneville is closing.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports Dickerson Furniture began its store closing sale this week.
Hugh Dickerson opened the store in 1945, originally selling furniture and appliances. However, the store has offered only furniture since the 1950s.
Marshall Dickerson bought the store from his father 34 years ago.
“We used to be more full range with all types of furniture, but the past 10 to 12 years so much of the wood furniture was made in the east it became too costly for the size of our store,” Dickerson said. “More recently it’s been mostly upholstered furniture, and we’ve been a La-Z-Boy Comfort Studio dealer, along with bedding, things that have to be replaced.”
He said those products have carried the business through the past four years’ slow economy, but that has come to an end.
“Our last really good year was 2007,” Dickerson said. “Furniture is one of those discretionary items that people can put off if it’s something they don’t have to have. In a better economy I probably would have stayed in three or four more years.”
Dickerson is also offering his two downtown buildings for sale. One is the one-story furniture store while the other is a four-story building.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Retired judge to hear McDaniel's challenge of primary loss to Cochran
- PSC's Brandon Presley calls in-state nuclear waste dump a 'harebrained scheme'
- State's jobless rate remains highest in U.S.
- Former DMR manager pleads guilty to embezzlement
- GOLF ranks state's courses; Fallen Oaks, Dancing Rabbit make top 100
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Court ruling on Section 42 leaves taxpayers on hook for tax repayments
- Wisconsin man pleads guilty to illegal wildlife trapping
- Jackson air fares among most expensive in the nation