Alumni honor Bryant
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 8,2012
Governor-elect and University of Southern Mississippi alumnus Phil Bryant was honored recently by the Southern Miss Alumni Association with the announcement of the creation of the Phil Bryant Executive Leadership Scholarship during a reception at the Trent Lott Center.
The scholarship fund, founded with an initial $10,000 gift from the Alumni Association, will support Southern Miss students who demonstrate strong leadership skills.
Bryant, a 1977 Southern Miss graduate, has also served as state auditor and in the State House of Representatives. He was inducted into the Southern Miss Alumni Association Hall of Fame in 1999.
Bryant has served his alma mater as a member of the Business Advisory Council for the Southern Miss College of Business. His honors include by the Central Mississippi National Rifle Association with its 2005 Kirk Fordice Freedom Award; the 2004 Statesman of the Year award presented by American Family Radio; the 2003 Crime Victims Advocate of the Year; and the prestigious Henry Toll Fellowship.
For his pursuit to expand electronic government on the state and local level, Bryant received the “In the Arena Award” presented by the Center For Digital Government and was the 2003 recipient of the “Mississippian of the Year Award,” presented by the Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP). In 2005 he co-authored the book titled, “Leadership Secrets of Government Financial Officials,” the fifth book in a leadership series that will be distributed to the state governors and other executives with emphasis in sharing of knowledge on leadership in government. In 2004 he co-authored his first book, “21st Century Government-Digital Promise, Digital Reality.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus