Ex-surgeon gets jail time for writing illegal prescriptions
Published: January 9,2012
GULFPORT — A former Gulf Coast surgeon has been sentenced to more than 11 years in prison for writing and selling illegal prescriptions.
In addition to the 135-month prison term, 43-year-old Je Song also was fined $10,000 by U.S. District Judge Sul Ozerden in Gulfport.
The Sun Herald said a co-defendant — 41-year-old Oliver “Butch” Shoemaker Jr. received a 58-month prison sentence and a $3,000 fine.
Prosecutors said that Song, who pleaded guilty to an illegal prescription charge, wrote more than 1,000 prescriptions in less than a year — mostly at Gulf Coast casino hotels.
Shoemaker was described as the middle man in the scheme, in which Song received $100 to $200 for each prescription. Others sold the prescriptions for $200 to $400 each, prosecutors said.
The judge agreed to dismiss 33 other charges against Song as part of his plea agreement. Three charges against Shoemaker were dismissed as part of his plea to distribution of controlled substances
Four other men have received prison sentences ranging from 26 months to 102 months. Sentencing for the remaining defendant, 24-year-old Kevin Anderson, is scheduled for Feb. 16.
Song’s medical license expired June 30. The Mississippi State Board of Medical Licensure had summoned Song to appear at a disciplinary hearing, but Song failed to appear. The board revoked his license after a hearing in September.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'