Man charged with practicing unlicensed medicine
Published: January 10,2012
OXFORD — An Oxford man has been freed on bond after being arrested for practicing medicine without a license.
Agent-in-charge Keith Davis, agent-in-charge with the Lafayette County Metro Narcotics Unit, tells the Oxford Eagle 50-year-old Mukund K. Patel has been charged with eight counts.
Davis says the investigation is continuing. Patel has been free on $2,000 bond. No trial date has been set.
Davis says Patel was practicing medicine out of his Lafayette County home.
Patel’s medical license was temporarily suspended in 1998 after it was learned that Patel was addicted to narcotic pain relievers, according to information provided by the Mississippi State Board of Medical Licensure.
The board required he attend a treatment program and submit to random drug testing.
In 1999, the board found that Patel had not submitted for the drug testing, had written prescriptions for pain medications while his license was suspended. It suspended his license again.
In 2000, his license was suspended indefinitely after Patel failed to complete a drug treatment program.
In May 2011, Patel petitioned the board to get his license back. The board reinstated his license, although heavily restricted. The board allowed Patel to limit his practice to the confines of residency training program and never, should practice medicine outside of the residency training program.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- State’s new banking chief Charlotte Corley has deep roots in the business
- Stricklin: Deer parasites don't affect quality of venison