Patriot donates 21-mile MSV Railroad to counties
Published: January 10,2012
CALHOUN COUNTY and YALOBUSHA COUNTY — Patriot Rail Corp. has donated its 21-mile Mississippi & Skuna Valley Railroad (MSV) to Calhoun and Yalobusha counties.
The donation sets the stage for the counties to pursue creation of the Skuna Valley Trail for public recreational use. The Calhoun County Board of Supervisors accepted the property donation in December 2011, establishing the Mississippi and Skuna Valley Rails to Trails Recreational District. Since the MSV also traverses Yalobusha County, Calhoun County entered into a joint agreement with Yalobusha County for the project. The ownership of the trail by the counties ensures that it can be returned to use as a rail line in the future, if service is warranted.
Gary O. Marino, Chairman, President and CEO of Patriot, said, “Re-purposing the MSV railroad into a trail is an excellent use of this rail corridor, transforming a once underutilized property into a vibrant community asset. We hope that this trail will be a source of enjoyment for the community for many years to come.”
Patriot Rail acquired the MSV in 2010 with the purchase of six railroads belonging to the Weyerhaeuser Company. The MSV ceased operations in April 2008 after the Class I connection suspended service due to a bridge that required repairs.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast