Supervisors close on more flood-prone homes
Published: January 11,2012
JACKSON COUNTY — Jackson County supervisors have approved a payment of $500,949 to Island Winds Title Co. to close on seven homes.
The Mississippi Press reports the action brings the county closer finishing its role in a federal buyout program meant to help give relief to residents in repeatedly flooded homes.
Planning director Michele Coats says once the seven homes are closed out, a total of 56 homes will have been purchased.
“I think we’ve already handled all of the single family residential homes that are occupied,” Coats said. “The next group includes some rental houses and ones that the owners said were not high priority.”
After hurricanes Georges and Katrina, the Federal Emergency Management Agency and Mississippi Emergency Management Agency offered to buy repeatedly flooded properties. The program is voluntary.
Residents eligible for buyouts are scattered across the county, including in the Pecan, Cumbest Bluff, Helena, Escatawpa and St. Martin communities.
There are 10 more homes on the purchase list, but Coats only expects a few to go through with the process.
Coats said she hopes to be complete by year-end.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren