Report: Mississippi has lowest average home loan
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 13,2012
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — LendingTree.com has released data highlighting the average loan amount on residential real estate purchases for all 50 states and Washington D.C. for the year.
Hawaii, by far, leads the nation with an average home loan amount of $677,299, followed by Washington, D.C., at $393,453, New Jersey at $344,240 and New York at $340,124.
The states with the lowest average home loan amounts are Mississippi at $137,182 and Nebraska at $137,515. The national average for a home loan is $222,261.
Additional findings from the LendingTree data include:
• California, the state with the highest population in the country, has the ninth highest average home loan amount ($310,676).
• The average buyer in Hawaii, based on the average loan of $677,299 and an APR of 4 percent, would have a monthly payment for a 30-year mortgage (1 point) of $3,234 before taxes and insurance. The average payment for Mississippi would be $655 based on the closed loan amount.
• The national average monthly payment for a 30-year mortgage at 4 percent would be $1,061
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House