UM accounting program makes national top 10
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 17,2012
OXFORD — The undergraduate accountancy program at the University of Mississippi is ranked No. 10 in the nation by the Public Accounting Report in its latest edition.
The independent newsletter of the accounting profession, in its Dec. 16, 2011, issue, also ranks the Patterson School of Accountancy’s master’s and doctoral programs at Nos. 11 and 12, respectively, in their categories.
While the Patterson School is the only SEC school in the top 10, other SEC schools ranked in the top 30 are the universities of Georgia (12), Florida (17), Alabama (20) and Tennessee (29).
The 30-year-old PAR Annual Professors Survey bases its results on votes from professors of accounting at U.S. colleges and universities. For many years, UM’s undergraduate program has been ranked in the top 30 nationally. Last year, the graduate and undergraduate programs were slotted at 19 and 20 respectively.
This year, for the first time, the report has added a ranking of schools that eliminates votes of faculty members who placed their school’s own accountancy program as No. 1 in the country.
“In that ranking, we are either third or fourth in each of the three categories, ranking up there with Chicago and MIT, and ahead of perennial power Illinois,” said Dale Flesher, associate dean.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Quapaw Canoe Company gains legislative support in battle with tax department
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- The link between education and economic development
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- Expeditors working out logistics to open Jackson office next month