GE Aviation: GE90 engine sees record-breaking year
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 20,2012
BATESVILLE — The GE90 engine experienced its most successful year in 2011, accumulating airline and freighter operator commitments for 400 engines with a list price of more than $11 billion, according to GE Aviation. This surpasses the previous record of 250 engine commitments in 2007.
This year included a record-setting Emirates’ order for 50 Boeing 777s, powered by GE90-115B engines, announced at the Dubai Air Show in November.
“The Boeing 777 and GE90 engine combination is growing in popularity with customers worldwide and is the best-selling aircraft-engine combination in its class,” said Bill Millhaem, general manager of the GE90 Program at GE Aviation. “Total orders for the GE90 engine family now exceed 2,000 engines with a backlog of 800 engines that will be delivered in the next four years.”
The 200 aircraft commitments announced in 2001 are for GE90-powered Boeing 777-300ERs and Freighters.
The production rate for the GE90 is growing, with plans to produce more than 180 GE90 engines in 2012 up from 170 engines in 2011. The production rate is expected to climb to 225 engines in 2014.
Composites, including fan stator case, acoustic panels and fin platforms, are manufactured at GE Aviation’s Batesville plant.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete
- Ford Foundation gives to UM for new science building