Gunn names chairs of House committees, some Dems included
Published: January 20,2012
JACKSON — Mississippi House Speaker Philip Gunn has named chairs for the House’s 40-plus committees, allowing the House to move ahead with business
With the GOP takeover of the House, Republicans were named to head all of the House’s major committees. Unlike four years ago, though, when Speaker Billy McCoy froze out GOP members from chairmanships after they failed to depose him, Republican Gunn of Clinton did name some Democrats.
New committee leaders include:
—Appropriations, Herb Frierson, R-Poplarville
—Judiciary A, Rep. Mark Baker, R-Brandon
—Judiciary B, Andy Gipson, R-Braxton
—Education, John Moore, R-Brandon
—Ways and Means, Jeff Smith, R-Columbus
The Legislature is 18 days into a 120-day session. The Rules and Management committees had been organized earlier.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Retired judge to hear McDaniel's challenge of primary loss to Cochran
- PSC's Brandon Presley calls in-state nuclear waste dump a 'harebrained scheme'
- Georgia-Pacific completes acquisition of SPG Holdings
- Venture Tech merges with ISC, acquires SAT
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- State's jobless rate remains highest in U.S.
- Former DMR manager pleads guilty to embezzlement
- GOLF ranks state's courses; Fallen Oaks, Dancing Rabbit make top 100
- Southern Bancorp to acquire Bank of Bolivar County