Gunn names chairs of House committees, some Dems included
Published: January 20,2012
JACKSON — Mississippi House Speaker Philip Gunn has named chairs for the House’s 40-plus committees, allowing the House to move ahead with business
With the GOP takeover of the House, Republicans were named to head all of the House’s major committees. Unlike four years ago, though, when Speaker Billy McCoy froze out GOP members from chairmanships after they failed to depose him, Republican Gunn of Clinton did name some Democrats.
New committee leaders include:
—Appropriations, Herb Frierson, R-Poplarville
—Judiciary A, Rep. Mark Baker, R-Brandon
—Judiciary B, Andy Gipson, R-Braxton
—Education, John Moore, R-Brandon
—Ways and Means, Jeff Smith, R-Columbus
The Legislature is 18 days into a 120-day session. The Rules and Management committees had been organized earlier.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015