Gunn names chairs of House committees, some Dems included
by Associated Press
Published: January 20,2012
JACKSON — Mississippi House Speaker Philip Gunn has named chairs for the House’s 40-plus committees, allowing the House to move ahead with business
With the GOP takeover of the House, Republicans were named to head all of the House’s major committees. Unlike four years ago, though, when Speaker Billy McCoy froze out GOP members from chairmanships after they failed to depose him, Republican Gunn of Clinton did name some Democrats.
New committee leaders include:
—Appropriations, Herb Frierson, R-Poplarville
—Judiciary A, Rep. Mark Baker, R-Brandon
—Judiciary B, Andy Gipson, R-Braxton
—Education, John Moore, R-Brandon
—Ways and Means, Jeff Smith, R-Columbus
The Legislature is 18 days into a 120-day session. The Rules and Management committees had been organized earlier.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Mississippi Power CEO's departure due to withholding Kemper information from regulators
- Tenn. company makes unspecified offer to lease hospital
- Hosemann revels in victory over Court's redistricting ruling
- Study says Nissan subsidies total $1.33B; MDA says overestimated
- Nullification and interposition
- Renee Flynt made Craftsmen's Guild president
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- Defunct casino to be moved; cost could rise depending on 'crud'