Gunn names chairs of House committees, some Dems included
Published: January 20,2012
JACKSON — Mississippi House Speaker Philip Gunn has named chairs for the House’s 40-plus committees, allowing the House to move ahead with business
With the GOP takeover of the House, Republicans were named to head all of the House’s major committees. Unlike four years ago, though, when Speaker Billy McCoy froze out GOP members from chairmanships after they failed to depose him, Republican Gunn of Clinton did name some Democrats.
New committee leaders include:
—Appropriations, Herb Frierson, R-Poplarville
—Judiciary A, Rep. Mark Baker, R-Brandon
—Judiciary B, Andy Gipson, R-Braxton
—Education, John Moore, R-Brandon
—Ways and Means, Jeff Smith, R-Columbus
The Legislature is 18 days into a 120-day session. The Rules and Management committees had been organized earlier.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation