Gunn names chairs of House committees, some Dems included
Published: January 20,2012
JACKSON — Mississippi House Speaker Philip Gunn has named chairs for the House’s 40-plus committees, allowing the House to move ahead with business
With the GOP takeover of the House, Republicans were named to head all of the House’s major committees. Unlike four years ago, though, when Speaker Billy McCoy froze out GOP members from chairmanships after they failed to depose him, Republican Gunn of Clinton did name some Democrats.
New committee leaders include:
—Appropriations, Herb Frierson, R-Poplarville
—Judiciary A, Rep. Mark Baker, R-Brandon
—Judiciary B, Andy Gipson, R-Braxton
—Education, John Moore, R-Brandon
—Ways and Means, Jeff Smith, R-Columbus
The Legislature is 18 days into a 120-day session. The Rules and Management committees had been organized earlier.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- 2014 a good year for filmmaking in Mississippi
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game