Breland’s poems published
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 22,2012
Dr. Garry Breland, vice president for academic affairs at William Carey University, has had his first book, titled “Whole Cloth: Sacred Stories in Verse,” published by Fields Publishing Inc., Nashville. Breland began writing the poems in 2010. All 42 poems are based on Biblical themes from both the Old and New Testament, with special emphasis on the Christmas nativity scene and the Beatitudes.
Breland, who grew up with three sisters, says he has always had an appreciation for the role of women in the Bible. He sought to draw on unseen points of view from famous Biblical stories in his poems.
Although this is his first published book, Breland has been practicing the art of writing poetry for as long as he can remember. Other poems of his have been published in The Indigo, The Magnolia Quarterly and The Spill, and a poem was named honorable mention in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s2010 Poetry Month contest.
Breland and his wife, Mary Beth, live in Hattiesburg. They have two adult children and three grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Fair cabins becoming more valuable, sources say
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Cal-Maine strikes joint venture deal with Arizona company