Breland’s poems published
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 22,2012
Dr. Garry Breland, vice president for academic affairs at William Carey University, has had his first book, titled “Whole Cloth: Sacred Stories in Verse,” published by Fields Publishing Inc., Nashville. Breland began writing the poems in 2010. All 42 poems are based on Biblical themes from both the Old and New Testament, with special emphasis on the Christmas nativity scene and the Beatitudes.
Breland, who grew up with three sisters, says he has always had an appreciation for the role of women in the Bible. He sought to draw on unseen points of view from famous Biblical stories in his poems.
Although this is his first published book, Breland has been practicing the art of writing poetry for as long as he can remember. Other poems of his have been published in The Indigo, The Magnolia Quarterly and The Spill, and a poem was named honorable mention in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s2010 Poetry Month contest.
Breland and his wife, Mary Beth, live in Hattiesburg. They have two adult children and three grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones