Breland’s poems published
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 22,2012
Dr. Garry Breland, vice president for academic affairs at William Carey University, has had his first book, titled “Whole Cloth: Sacred Stories in Verse,” published by Fields Publishing Inc., Nashville. Breland began writing the poems in 2010. All 42 poems are based on Biblical themes from both the Old and New Testament, with special emphasis on the Christmas nativity scene and the Beatitudes.
Breland, who grew up with three sisters, says he has always had an appreciation for the role of women in the Bible. He sought to draw on unseen points of view from famous Biblical stories in his poems.
Although this is his first published book, Breland has been practicing the art of writing poetry for as long as he can remember. Other poems of his have been published in The Indigo, The Magnolia Quarterly and The Spill, and a poem was named honorable mention in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s2010 Poetry Month contest.
Breland and his wife, Mary Beth, live in Hattiesburg. They have two adult children and three grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- 2014 a good year for filmmaking in Mississippi
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life